Friday, March 16, 2012

Acer AO721 Powers Up but Nothing Shows on the Screen (Black Screen)

Applicable for:
Aspire 1430/1551/1830T Series
Aspire One 721/753 Series

UPDATE: Flashing AO 721 from Windows

Last Wednesday, my Acer AO 721 screen went blank mid-way while booting-up. I was afraid it's another "motherboard issue" again.

Last July 2011, the same thing happened to my laptop. I could see the power button lit up but nothing showed on the screen. Since it was still covered by the 1-year warranty, I brought it to the Acer service center at SM North EDSA. Two weeks after, the technician told me they couldn't figure out what the problem was so they endorsed it to the main Acer service center. A month after, I got my laptop back and they said that it was a motherboard problem so they replaced the motherboard with a new one.

This time, I was seriously worried to bring my laptop again to the service center because:

  1. It's no longer covered by warranty so I will shell out some serious amount of cash if they replace the motherboard.
  2. Repair takes a minimum of 2 weeks at the service center and I needed my files soon because I had to compute my students' grades.
Thankfully that night, I told my ex about the problem. When I told him it was updating registry when the screen went blank he said it's a BIOS problem. He said I need to flash (update) my laptop's BIOS. I spent the whole night till the wee hours of the morning searching for and trying solutions specific to my computer model.

Apparently, according to my research, this common problem has something to do with a faulty BIOS and not really the motherboard. Perhaps that is why the service center technicians thought that it was a motherboard  problem after reseating hardware and nothing worked.

Here are the steps to the solution that worked. They may be found at page 78 of this manual.

 Important:
** Files needed:
     BIOS firmware ver 1.18 (download from Acer site under BIOS tab)
     Crisis Package Source (You can download from my Public Sky Drive folder)

** Battery should be inserted and power cord plugged because a power interruption during update can make your computer inoperable.

Step 1: Create a Crisis Disk
  1. Prepare a removable USB storage device with a capacity size greater than 10 MB. Note that all data on the USB storage device will be cleared during the creation of the Crisis disk. (Use only a flash drive. I have used an external HD and it didn't work.)
  2. Set up a system running the Windows XP or Windows Vista OS and plug in the USB storage device into an available USB port. (Crisys Disk setup can only be done in a XP or Vista x32 OS. I have tried XP compatibility mode and Virtual PC XP mode on Windows 7, they didn't work.)
  3. Decompress the Crisis Package Source.
  4. Select WINCRIS.EXE and then select Run as administrator. (It has to be run as administrator to copy the files into the flash drive, otherwise it won't work. Copying the files manually will not create a working program.)
  5. Keep the default settings and then click Start button. (Choose USB drive as destination.)
  6. When the pop-up warning dialog box appears, click OK to create the Crisis disk.
  7. Click No if you do not want to create another Crisis disk.
  8. Eject and reconnect the USB removable storage device, and make sure it contains the following three files:
        • BIOS.WPH
        • MINIDOS.SYS
        • PHLASH16.EXE

* Credit goes to our school technician, Edgar Blanco, who created the Crisis Disk for me because I do not have Admin access to our school computer which runs an XP (I don't have an XP computer at home anymore.)

Step 2: Perform a BIOS Recovery

  1. Shut down the BIOS failed computer.
  2. Connect the USB storage device containing the Crisis Disk files to the failed system.
  3. Press and hold the <Fn> + <Esc> keys (this is the BIOS recovery hotkey), then press the power button. The BIOS recovery process begins. When the process is complete the system will automatically reboot. (A youtube video requires that you press the power button continuously. However this is not necessary in this process. Press power button only once. Hold Fn+Esc for about 5 seconds before releasing them. Also, the power light doesn't blink while the recovery is ongoing.)
  4. Disconnect the USB storage device from the system. (Do this once the system shuts down otherwise you will have to start from step 1)
  5. Perform a BIOS flash procedure to update the BIOS firmware. Refer to Running the Flash Utility section below.

Step 3: Flash (update) BIOS

  1. Rename the BIOS file as “XXXXXXX.FD” (This is the JV10N118 in the Winflash64 or Winflash32 folders in the BIOS_Acer_1.18_Windows files.)
  2. Copy the “XXXXXXX.FD” file to the bootable USB device containing the Crisis Recovery disk files.
  3. Turn off the system.
  4. Insert the USB storage device containing the renamed BIOS file and the Crisis Recovery disk files to any USB port.
  5. Press and hold the <Fn> + <Esc> keys (this is the BIOS recovery hotkey), then press the power button.
  6. Release the <Fn> + <Esc> keys after POST.

The whole recovery and updating process took me about 15 minutes as recovery and flashing take about 7 minutes to complete. However, the whole searching for solutions and working on them including creating the Crisis Disk took around a day and a half.

Follow the instructions carefully and be patient in doing this so you can recover your computer and don't lose your computer in the process.

Good Luck!

46 comments:

  1. i have AO721 with such problem.
    my e-mail - vladimir_vloh@mail.ru

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, I'll send you the zip file

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you please send me the zip file also. jbutler339@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sure, i'll send you the file, then just follow the instructions here.

      Delete
  4. hi! Could you send me the zip file? mansonrs@gmail.com

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi, ok. glad to be of help.

      Delete
    2. hi! that's me again :P don't forget to send me the file, ok? I need fix my girlfriend's netbook :)

      bye!

      Delete
    3. hi, you haven't received it yet? i already did yesterday. anyway, i'll send it again. it's only the crisis package. the bios firmware, you can download it from acer's website.

      Delete
    4. that's odd. Maybe you misspelled. Try these ones: mansonrs@gmail , breno@inf.ufsm.br and mansonrs@msn.com

      thanks!

      Delete
    5. hi, i uploaded the file here:

      https://profile.live.com/cid-aff0a9c3895e5568#!https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=aff0a9c3895e5568&group=0&sc=documents

      let me know if it works.

      Delete
    6. thank you! now I have to find a pc with windows XP... :(
      I tried to run the wincrisis.exe as administrator in windows 7 but i got an error msg :(
      thanks for the help!

      Delete
    7. yeah, i did that too. and i also tried xp compatibility mode, and xp virtual pc on win7, but they didn't work either.

      Delete
  5. Hi Kim, can you send me the zip file to carrica@hotmail.com , I need to fix my father's machine.

    Thank you very much!
    Facundo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can download the zip file from the skydrive link i have posted above. It's this link:

      https://profile.live.com/cid-aff0a9c3895e5568#!https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=aff0a9c3895e5568&group=0&sc=documents

      it's the phenix crisys disk zipped folder

      Delete
  6. Having a really hard time creating the crisis disk. I don't have admin rights on any of the XP terminals that i own. Any chance i could get you to send me a USB key with the proper files loaded on it? Happy to pay for shipping and, of course, the USB key itself. Let me know. ktrinh114@gmail.com. BTW: Thanks for taking the time to post this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I am sorry it took me a while to respond. I would gladly want to help. However, I am on a holiday right now and won't be back to work until Monday. I don't have an XP computer at home, I only have one at work.

      You can email me at kimjedi@gmail.com

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I have an acer Ao721. However, I have access only to Windows 7 computers. Is it possible to do this through a Windows 7 computer? I got the Phoenix Crisys Disk through your skydrive link above. Thanks for that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I am not sure if there is a workaround that now. You can try virtual pc mode or xp compatibility mode. When I tried those two years ago, they didn't work for me. I am not sure now, maybe there's an available workaround for that now.

      Delete
  9. Hello there! Can you send me the Crisis Package Source? I have also an AO721 with the same problem. My email: cristi_yyy@yahoo.com . Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, me again. I finally managed to solve the "crisis", so I don't need the link anymore.
    Thanks for help!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can u send me the file. jah_almightu21@yahoo.com.ph
    Tnx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sorry it took me a while to respond. I lost my old file but I have uploaded it here:

      https://profile.live.com/cid-aff0a9c3895e5568#!https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=aff0a9c3895e5568&group=0&sc=documents

      feel free to download it.

      Delete
  13. Hi there Kim.

    My father's netbook has the same problem. Could you please send the file to me too? My email is: leo.a.gomes@gmail.com

    Thank you very much for this post, it is really helpful =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      You can download the file here:

      https://profile.live.com/cid-aff0a9c3895e5568#!https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=aff0a9c3895e5568&group=0&sc=documents

      Let me know if it works.

      Kim

      Delete
  14. Dear Kim,

    Many thanks for this post. You are best!

    Peter K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter,

      You're welcome! I am glad to be of help. That's the reason why I wrote this blog. When I had the problem, there was no single resource that I could find. I had to piece them all together to help those who need it.

      :)
      Kim

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. sir can i ask when i try to run the WINCRIS.EXE it detects my usb but the path in not highlighted so when i press the start button it sys that it will format the usb when i press ok it needs the path for the files how can i solve this issue. im using windows 7. or should i use windows xp instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure of the following:

      1. You are doing this in an XP system.
      2. You are running it as Administrator.

      Someone else had to do this for me as I didn't have an XP system.

      Delete
    2. thank you for the reply. god Bless

      Delete
  17. Thank you for posting this! Followed your directions and got my brother's laptop working again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! It's the main reason why I posted this. When my laptop broke, I had a hard time looking for the resource that helped. So I though I'd put all my research together. I am glad to be of help. :)

      Delete
  18. yo! need help pls cant find the xxxx.fd file on the archive bios files T^T tnx in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can you send me the bios files e.g.
      • BIOS.WPH
      • MINIDOS.SYS
      • PHLASH16.EXE
      ~aspire one 721 bios pls T^T

      Delete
    2. the XXXXXXX.fd is what you rename the file JV10N118 to. You have to look for JV10N118 and rename it to XXXXXXX.fd.

      Delete
    3. I don't have a copy of the crisys disk anymore. I have it on my gmail but Google won't let me download it to my computer nor forward it to anyone. You can check Phoenix's website.

      Delete
  19. Hey i have windows 8 and when i use the wincris as administrator it work just fine but when i plug in acer aspire one 721 it dont do nothing, the power button dont flashes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best option that you have a USB drive that have some LED activity indicator... if it's blinking - it's working. I still figuring it out however...

      Delete
    2. I can't pinpoint what the problem is as I would need more details. You might want to check the update I wrote regarding flashing. You might get something there. For one, make sure it's a thumb drive and the battery is plugged in. I hope it helps.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Also, make sure that you created the crisys disk on an XP or Vista machine. I tried doing it before on a Win 7 machine with XP compatibility mode, and Virutal PC XP. But it failed.

      Delete
  20. Hi. Thanks for a great instruction. Do you rename the ROM or the wph file ?

    ReplyDelete